Saturday, February 20, 2010

Temple Grandin

I had the opportunity two weeks ago to watch the HBO movie Temple Grandin, based on the life of an autistic woman who was diagnosed with the disorder in the 1960's, when it was more popular to institutionalize these children then intervene.

I had the honor of watching this movie with my son Chandler- who, throughout the movie made statements like, "Daddy, that's how I feel," or "that's how I see things."

It was a true learning experience for our family. I encourage anyone who has a child on the spectrum to watch this great movie. It is inspiring and educational.

Recently Temple visited with the people at PSU, and this interview is amazing. It is lengthy, but I couldn't turn it off. It really offers insight from someone who can articulate what having this disorder is like.

It can be found here: http://conversations.psu.edu/episodes/temple_grandin

I would recommend sharing this with anyone who is not educated about the Spectrum - or parents who are just starting on this journey.

No comments:

Post a Comment